Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Story: Vali's Revenge

My name is Vali. I am a strong, powerful leader and I have had many opportunities to display my great strength. I have a brother whose name is Sugriva. He is also a very powerful fighter. Unfortunately, he is not as dependable as I am. Being reliable is essential to being a leader, but Sugriva is an evil traitor. Family values are of utmost importance to me and I refuse to accept someone who has no respect for blood. As we speak, I am on my way to engage him in battle. Before we begin, I will give you the backstory.

-------

Years ago, I was fighting an enemy who took our battle beneath the surface of the earth. Timid to travel underground, I made Sugriva promise me that he would watch the mouth of the hole and wait for my return.

Sugriva promised.

The battle raged on for months upon months, but I finally killed the foe. I was exhausted but excited to share the news with my brother. I hurried up the tunnel, but when I reached the top…it was filled in. I had no escape—I was stuck underground! I had used every ounce of my strength killing this beast and didn’t know if I had it in me to break through the ground. I rested for weeks and finally built up the strength to crash through the mountain that sat atop me.

How could my brother do this to me? I thought to myself that surely it had been a mistake. However, when I arrived back to Kishkindha, I saw none other than my beloved brother ruling my subjects.

I have never felt so betrayed.

I banished my brother and took away his wife. I truly believed that this was not punishment enough, but I couldn’t bring myself to kill someone who shared my blood.

However, I have received word that Sugriva wishes to engage me in battle. Perhaps now I will truly bring justice to the situation by removing this fiend from our family completely.

-------

When I saw Sugriva arriving, a fire of anger lit inside me. How dare this traitor show his face again!?

My wife, Tara, had begged me not to engage in this battle, but I knew I had made the right decision. I had to right the wrongs that had been done to me. There was no way that I would not win.

With power and rage, the fight began. Sugriva quickly uprooted a tree that he flung toward me. The blow slowed me down, but would not deter me. Enraged by the nerve of this conspirator, I used every inch of power and might that I could find within me for battle. Unfortunately for me, Sugriva was a powerful opponent. I should have guessed as much; our family is full of the biggest and strongest.

The fight raged on for hours. After what seemed like an eternity, I could tell that I was beginning to wear him down. A boulder that I threw at him landed on his leg, causing him to fall to the ground. In an instant, I stood atop him, ready to make my move. With my hands in the air, I was ready to unleash the move that would end my brother’s life.

Nothing could stop me…or so I thought.

“Vali, halt!” said a voice from behind me. I turned to see none other than my beautiful wife standing there, startled and out of breath. I was always delighted to see her shining face, but today’s timing was not ideal.

“What in the world is it!?” I snapped.

In this moment, Sugriva escaped my grasp and sprang into action.

“Sugriva, don’t you move either,” my wife began. “I have information that will change this entire situation.”

Confused, we ceased fighting and turned toward my wife. What information could she possible have that was vital enough to risk her life by coming into this war zone?

It was then that Tara told me the words that began to break my heart. She told me that she believed Sugriva’s story that he had not meant to cause me harm. I could not believe that she could possibly turn against me.

But then, a vulture appeared from the sky and stood beside her.

“Wise brothers,” said the vulture, “I was in the woods the day that this rivalry began. I watched as Sugriva guarded a mysterious hole in the ground for over a year. I could not fathom what could possibly be in this hole that was so important. It captivated my attention enough that I never left watch. Soon enough, there was a horrendous scream and blood escaped from the hole. I saw young Sugriva mourn and weep. I knew that whatever he had been guarding was no longer surviving in that hole. Respectfully, Sugriva closed the hole and paid proper homage. When Sugriva left the hole, I did as well. I assumed there was nothing left to see. I never knew what had been in that hole until today. When I came across Tara, she told me the tale of the feuding brothers and expressed her concern about this battle. I knew that I had to come tell my tale before it was too late.” And with that, the vulture bowed and flew away.

I could not believe my ears. My stomach churned. I could not tell if I was feeling guilt or relief. I was thankful to discover that my brother had never wronged me, but I was sickened to realize that I lived the past decade of my life insulted over a misunderstanding. With a humble heart, I stuck out my hand. I forgave Sugriva and I hoped that he could forgive me too. Without hesitation, my brother firmly grasped my hand with a look of sincerity in his eyes. I knew that I could not undo what happened over the last ten years, but I was thankful to have my brother back.

(Sugriva and Vali reuniting. Source)



Author’s Note: This story is based off of the scene Sugriva’s Story from the Public Domain Edition of the Mahabharata. I kept the context and character profiles very close to the original. For the background information at the beginning of my story, I used the original background information from the story of Sugriva and Vali. However, in the actual scene, Sugriva comes back from banishment for revenge and kills his brother. Being the family-oriented person that I am, I hated the idea of feuding brothers. I especially hated that it ended with one of the brothers being killed. I thought this would be a fun opportunity to write a story with a happier ending. In the original story, the whole ordeal is a misunderstanding. I changed the story by having the vulture tell his account of what actually happened. What the vulture saw was the same as what happened in the original story. I just added the character of the vulture to bring light to the misunderstanding. I also changed the story by having it told from Vali’s perspective. I knew that Vali had a lot of built up anger, so having it told from his side made the truth coming out even more of a shock. I really enjoyed writing the story from a new perspective and creating a happy ending from an originally tragic one. It was a fun challenge!


Bibliography:
Public Domain Ramayana: Sugriva's Story

12 comments:

  1. Hi Bentleigh! Since I have not had the time to read this portion of the story so therefore this is new to me. I like how you chose to go for a happier ending rather than a tragic one, it teaches us a lesson on not acting so rashly. I enjoyed reading your version of the story. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bentleigh. The twist you put on Vali and Sugreeva's tale is nice--I remember sympathizing with Vali and Sugreeva both, and being pretty upset and confused when Rama killed Vali to put an end to their feud. Your version, where Rama is left out of it entirely, makes me wonder what would have happened if he had never come along. After all, Rama was the only one strong enough to actually kill Vali--maybe there wouldn't have been any death were it not for him! I think Tara is a fitting intermediary here, since she was the wife of both Vali and Sugreeva. The original tale leaves her a little too passive, in my opinion! Thanks for the retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bentleigh! I really liked how you chose to write the story. Writing from Vali's perspective helped see what he was thinking about this whole situation. One part that really spoke out to me was when Vali's wife, Tara, told him to stop fighting. I love the way that you said that he was always delighted to see her face. This shows just how much Vali loves his wife. I also like how not only Vali but Sugriva also stopped what they were doing when Tara told them to. It shows how much they respect women which I think is super cool. I can't help but wonder what the enemy had done to Vali to make him go underground and fight him, and why it was only Vali who fought him? Was it a personal battle or a battle about what Vali rules over? What if you explained how Vali was able to get out from underground? I know that you said he rested for weeks, but it would've been fun to hear how he was able to do it! This story is really fun and I'm glad that Vali and Sugriva were able to work out their differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bentleigh, I really liked your idea of changing this story slightly. It bothered me when Vali didn't listen to his wife in the original story, and in yours, she gets a second chance to prevent a brother's death. Hearing the story from Vali's point of view helps the audience see a different side, since the original is somewhat biased towards Rama and Sugreeva. It made sense that Vali's wife would need more evidence than her word to convince the two brothers to stop fighting, which is why the vulture worked well as an additional character. Is there a specific reason you chose a vulture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the background you provided to make the audience side with Sugriva instead of Vali until it was revealed by the vulture that no one had intentionally wronged anyone else. I think this story has a really unique twist that changes the way the reader approaches the moral of the story, which could be a really interesting theme to work with. I also really liked how Tara was a part of the story in a positive way to help prevent the situation from getting even more out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading your story. It always upset me when I heard about Vali that all these problems occurred between the brothers because of a misunderstanding. I liked that you changed the ending and made it a happy one with no misunderstandings left between the brothers. I also liked how you gave the back story from Vali's point of view so that we all know what actually happened instead of just the fight between the two. The description that you had also did not give away too much information about the story, which was good. It actually made me curious as to what you did with the story, and how it turned out. The picture was also good, although it looks like Sugriva is meeting with Rama instead of Vali. It interesting how Vali takes the word of the bird that he does not even know over the word of his own brother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Bentleigh,
    I've already commented on this story, but I wanted to take the chance to comment on a few things that stuck out to me on my second reading. I really like how you use the vulture to explain everything and solve all the confusion--coming from above at the perfect moment with the necessary knowledge, and then vanishing again. It makes me think he might be a god in disguise...but which one? (I know the Ramayana has an eagle/vulture god that helps them out on a few occasions.) Maybe you could give the vulture a couple of sentences of background. I think it would add an extra layer of depth to the story, taking us outside the confines of the immediate spat between Vali and Sugriva.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story was a good read. My favorite part was when the Vulture repeated what he had seen. The flow of the story was great, which made it an easy read. There were a few minor grammatically errors I believe in the story. You might want to double check though, just in case I am wrong. I believe there were some commas that were unnecessary such as those in sentence 2 in paragraph three after the word exhausted. Also in the same paragraph sentence 7 after the work weeks. I was just a bit confused with the word “friend” used in paragraph 5. In this sentence “I should have guessed as much; our family is full of the biggest and strongest” did you mean to put “I should have guessed just as much; our family is full of the biggest and strongest”, if not then sorry about that. Lastly, both the times you used “possible” I believe you meant “possibly”. You are very creative, and this story was never boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing out my grammatical errors! I've always been bad about adding unnecessary commas when I write and I often miss them when I proofread. I really appreciate your help!!

      Delete
  9. Hello Bentleigh! I really enjoyed reading your story! I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire read! I really like how you kept the to the original story for the most part I think switching to Vali’s point of view really helped the flow of the story overall. Tara in your story was a very good add on since I think that she would be the only person to be able to get Vali to stop right before he beat Sugriva. The decision to use the vulture to retell what really happened in the brothers was a very surprising and delight able change in the story! I think it showed a lot of compassion for family ties like you said in your author’s notes. Overall I really loved this interesting twist in the story and how you were able to give the two brothers compassion and forgiveness rather than hatred at the end of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how this story is laid out for the reader in the beginning! Very cool that Vali talks to his audience. It kind of felt like I was in a play and of the characters stepped aside to talk about what we were about to watch. Almost an author's note but a character's note! I liked your story about the warriors, I feel like I haven't read that many!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, I really enjoyed the story. I think that the entire premise behind the story was great! I really enjoyed the twist that you played with the vulture retelling the end. I do agree with you it allows for more of a compassion for family ties.

    I really liked how you gave the two brothers the ability to forgive one another instead of hate. I feel that in the short amount of time that we are allotted in this world there is no room for hate just love especially when it comes to family. I love that you brought that point across though the changes you chose to make to the actual piece.

    I feel that you have the ability to place strong emotions in your story without them being overwhelming for the reader. In my opinion this is a strong pro that you should play on. The first story you wrote about Rama's love for Sita was just as compelling. I cannot wait for you to choose a topic that allows for maybe a break down of a character or a very emotionally deep scene! Good luck for your other stories and great job!

    ReplyDelete