Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Story: The Journal of Krishna

July 30
Dear Journal,

My love for Radha grows stronger each day. She is the most beautiful and wonderful woman I have ever met. I feel that my life is complete now that she is in it. Oh, Journal, I truly cannot picture myself without her. You should see the way her hair shines in the sun and her eyes light up every time she dances. She is a vision of beauty. She truly completes me. It is as if we have become one soul.
-Krishna


August 15
Journal,

I’ve made a decision. My love for Radha is unlike anything I have ever felt before. I have decided that it is time that I make her mine forever. That’s right…I’m going to marry her! As soon as my mother returns, I am going to ask her what she thinks! I am so excited. I know mother will be delighted! I will keep you updated as soon as she says yes!
-Krishna


August 16
Hi Journal…

Today I come to you with bad news. It turns out that things did not go as planned. My mother was not as excited as I was just SO SURE she would be. She even got my father involved. He refused as well. I don’t understand how they could refuse that I marry Radha, but they did. I am so offended. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Radha! She is the most perfect person in this world and I will not stop fighting until I marry her!!!

Mother and Father are taking me to see Gargacharya tonight. He is our family priest. I suppose they think that he will talk some sense into me. I’m looking forward to it. Once I tell Gargacharya my side, he will tell my parents how ridiculous they are being. I just know it.

Updates to come.
-Krishna


August 17
Dear Diary,

Things could not have gone farther than I predicted. My mother and father’s disagreements had nothing to do with Radha…it was all because of me. Journal, I’m not sure I can put everything I learned into words. My mind is still working to wrap itself around it.

You see, I am not at all the person I thought I was. My parents are of no blood relation to me. I was intentionally switched at birth for my own protection. They tell me that I am the savior of Dharma in this world. It feels strange to even write down. Journal, I am the deliverer that the sages have always talked about. ME. IT’S ME. I feel honored, but also sick. I am supposed to kill Kans, who is apparently my biological uncle. Am I qualified for this? Why me?

I am so connected to the people of my town. I just want to stay here and lead a normal life. More than anything, I want to marry Radha. But I cannot do either of those things. My destiny lies elsewhere. My fears will go no further than the pages of this journal. I am terrified but I will never let the people know. If I am who they say I am, then my people need bravery. I will do whatever I need to do to serve them.
-Krishna (I think)

August 30
Dear Journal,

It’s been a while since we’ve spoke. My life has gone on pretty much the same as before. Nothing much has changed (other than everything I have ever known).

However, today I received a visitor. A man named Akrur came to visit me and invite me to a Bow Ritual  organized by Kans. Before I could accept the offer, he began to weep. Confused, I asked him what was wrong.

Akrur informed me that the real intention of the Yajna was to lure me to Mathura so that Kans could kill me. My stomach churned at these words and I knew I must accept. This is the destiny that I must fulfill. Akrur was surprised by my acceptance, but I knew it was what I had to do.

The people around me were shocked by the lack of emotion on my face. Little did they know, I was freaking out inside. Part of me is still upset that all of this happened. And always, a vision of Radha rests on the back of my mind. How could I ever forget her? But regardless of my selfish desires, I will be traveling to Mathura to face Kans. When I close this journal, I will be trapping my fears in the pages. From now on, I will proceed with a brave face and a fearless heart.

This, Journal, is my destiny.

-Krishna

(The journal Krishna uses to reveal his true feelings about his destiny.)

Author's Note: For this story, I was inspired by Episodes 13 and 14 of the Epified version of Krishna. I was also inspired by the work of some of my classmates and the writing techniques they have used. I really enjoyed reading stories that used the letter writing or journal entry styles and I knew that I wanted to try one of my own. I thought that these scenes in Krishna’s life were a perfect opportunity to try one of these styles because he was going through a major change/crisis in his life. In the actual scenes, he put on a very brave face and accepted his fate with no hesitation. I thought that a journal entry would be a great time for him to reveal a little bit more vulnerability. I stuck to the original storyline for the most part, but I told the story completely from Krishna’s point of view in the format of journal entries. I added some extra emotions that were not actually stated in the scenes. Krishna never really appeared scared or angry that any of this had happened to him. Any mentions of these types of feelings were extremely brief. I decided to expand upon the emotions that any rational person would have during this time. It would make perfect sense to be scared, upset, or experience self-doubt. I decided that if Krishna were ever to feel this way, he would never let it show. However, he might hide it away in the depths of his journal! 😉

TitleKrishna
Author: Epified TV (India)
Year: 2015

2 comments:

  1. You did a lovely job with this story! I love the transition shown in the entries when Krishna was mad he couldn’t marry Radha to figuring out that it all had to do with him. It is so life like. Our life can change exponentially in the matter of hours and capturing that in the journal format was genius! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were inspired by the Epified version of Krishna! I watched the Epified Ramayana and it is so fun to watch. Usually I would wonder why so many exclamation points were put in a journal, but it's obvious from reading about Krishna that his feelings for Radha were very very strong so it makes sense. It's so sad that Krishna is forced to set aside his feelings for her to deal with his other family problems. Poor Krishna!

    ReplyDelete