Monday, November 14, 2016

Learning Challenge: Watching for Empathy

I was excited when I saw this challenge because empathy is a theme that is very important to me. If you have ever heard of the StrengthsFinder assessment, empathy is one of my top strengths.

For anyone who doesn't know, StrengthsFinder is a very in-depth assessment that tells you what your top five strengths are. The strengths are in a significant order and are unique to you! I love learning about everyone's individual strengths and weaknesses, so I love talking about StrengthsFinder. I have had the amazing opportunity of serving in a leadership position where I have had the ability to talk with students about their strengths and how to maximize them.

Something that we always talk about is finding someone that you share a strength with and a similar experience you have had using it. I have had some amazing conversations with people about how we use empathy. Something that has been brought up a lot is that people around us sometimes forget to use empathy. Those of us that are high in empathy can get anxious in these situations because we don't understand why everyone doesn't think the way we do. Because of this, we sometimes feel pressured to act as an advocate for others in situations where no one else is showing them any empathy.

This can be a lot of pressure, but it is also a wonderful opportunity. I consider it a blessing to have empathy as a strength and I am thankful for those around me who are good empathizers as well!

Whenever I mess up, there is nothing more refreshing than a sympathetic response. I've learned that people are typically hard enough on themselves...we don't need to make their lives any harder. Empathy is a great way to show compassion and make an impact on someone's day. Empathy is something that I love to learn about and watch for every day.

(This picture reminds me to always keep others feelings and situations in mind.)

2 comments:

  1. This is so fascinating. I appreciate how you went into detail about what your strength means and how it has shaped who you are as a person and what you do. I am very interested to see what my strengths are! I'll have to find this StrengthFinder assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bentleigh, yours was the first learning challenge I've read so far, and I loved your topic. In our fast-paced world filled with people who don't care about how others are affected, empathy is rare. It's also something I've been struggling with, so thank you for this reminder that everyone needs a sympathetic person in their life. It is great to hear from someone whose strength is empathy because it adds another perspective.

    ReplyDelete