Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part B

  • Nina gets broken up with. I'm so curious to see how this ties in with the Ramayana.
  • This made me realize how much it bothers me that Rama makes his decisions here based off of what people think of him (or what he fears people think of him) instead of making his own wants. This is a very prevalent theme here that I haven't thought about much. It would be interesting to create a story out of this. This is something that could easily be translated into a modern story.
  • I love the intertwining themes of heartbreak. Two very different people going through the same sort of emotions!
  • I really enjoy the narrators talking about the girls that need to leave the men that treat them badly. When do we draw the line between "unconditional love" and the time to walk away. Then men act like she's being stupid and the woman claims "unconditional love". I could write a more modern tale of this...about a group analyzing their friends' relationships.
The second half of this film was really fun to watch. I enjoyed this take on the Ramayana! It was easy to follow and even tied itself in with a modern love story. It was such an interesting take on the epic and I'm so glad that I decided to try another visual option!

(This half of the film focused on heartbreak and overcoming it.)

Author: Nina Paley
Year: 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment